South Africa hosts a bountiful basket of fresh fruits, from berries all the way to citrus. In fact, fruit is one of our top 5 largest exports, and the numbers only continue to grow. So, next time you’re biting into a scrumptious apple somewhere halfway across the world, your taste-buds might be a little closer to home than you think!
But for those of us who prefer to experience juicy perfection straight from the source, here are a couple of fruit farms where one can enjoy picking fresh fruit yourself:
Strawberries at Polkadraai Strawberry Farm
Ever looked up to your parents with huge love and appreciation because they took you on a dream activity when you were a kid? Maybe they took you for your very first pony ride, or maybe on an “important mission” as a captain aboard a tractor ride. Or maybe, just maybe, they took you to look up at a giant strawberry ten times your size. Either way, this farm is a great family location where you can do all of the above, and more!
- Where: The Polkadraai Farm is located +/- 30 minutes from Cape Town, in Stellenbosch
- When: Monday to Sunday, 9am – 4pm.
- Price: R40/p
- Side attractions: Pony rides, playground and other child-friendly activities
Cherries at Klondyke Cherry Farm
At Klondyke Cherry farm, one can take leisurely sunlit or sunset strolls, through picturesque hallways filled with crimson red and golden yellow cherries. Pick as many as your heart desires and reap the rewards atop a comfortable picnic blanket, below a shady tree. And the cherry on top of it all? It’s family and pet-friendly, so doggo can get in on the adventure too!
- Where: Situated 30km from Ceres town in the Koue Bokkeveld, Western Cape
- When: Season opens in December, times change accordingly
- Price: Entrance fee includes basket/bucket, price subject to change
- Side attractions: Cottage accommodation and craft market on site
Figs at Hoogwater Farm
These exquisite orchards are nestled between lush green wine valleys and crisp cyan-coloured skies. This large landscape provides far more than a day trip, with visitors frequently taking advantage of the luxury accommodation on-site. Grab your satchel and snatch a ride via horseback, bird-watch, or bike your way through the plentiful plains on offer. Most excited about the figs? Eat as many as your mouth and hands can carry.
- Where: R43, Hoogwater Farm, Ceres
- When: Open every Saturday and Sunday from 19 January until 03 February yearly
- Price: R45/p adult, R20/p child, R5 per bucket of fruit taken home
- Side attractions: Accommodation on-site, bird watching and fishing.
Blackberry and Youngberry picking at Wildebraam Berry Estate
Also known as “Swellendam’s berried treasure,” this farm hosts homey accommodation and a truly authentic South African charm. Depending on the season, expect to find yourself amongst a vivid colour pallet straight from a painted work of art itself. One can find the finest array of berries here, ranging from freshly picked blackberries and youngberries, to frozen cranberries from the ‘tasting room.’ The tasting room also offers whimsical wines and some seriously tasty treats!
- Where: Wildebraam, S4 Hermitage South Lane, Hermitage Valley, Swellendam
- When: Monday to Friday 8:00-17:00, Sat 9;00 -16:00
Sun 9:00-13:00 (Closing time extended from 13:00 to 14:00pm from mid Nov-till end Dec only)
- Price: Entrance R15/p, (Blackberries R28 /kg and Youngberries R38 /kg)
- Side Attractions: Accommodation on-site and a tasting-room filled with jams and berry products
Apples, peaches, plums and pears at Lentelus Farm
Cruising along the famous South African Route 62? Make sure not to miss this hidden diamond in the Klein Karoo. This farm is surrounded by dessert-type scenery, mesmerising mountain-scape and lavish greenery, stitched together by a strong historical background.
- Where: Lentelus Farm, Tradouw Valley, near Barrydale
- When: By appointment
- Price: Per kilogram
- Side Attractions: Valley views and a wine farm
Can’t decide on which basket to fill? Speak to us about a tourist visa, and turn these famous fruit-bearing farms into a road-trip to relax and enjoy.
Speak to a professional
We can help you with all Visa Applications in South Africa. We also feature a Free Online Assessment to help you determine your current status and which steps to take next. Contact Le Roux Attorneys today to assist you in applying for your holiday visa.
Contact Le Roux Attorneys, South African Visa specialists about your visa application. Start by selecting one of the enquiry options below