South Africa is dubbed the rainbow nation and it is no surprise that we have a diverse array of cultures within our borders. Additionally, we’ve also attracted a number of nationalities to our country and who have chosen to turn South Africa into their new home. Foreigners looking to settle down in South Africa with a view of making it a permanent move need to consider the legal process of naturalisation.
What is dual citizenship?
Dual citizenship or dual nationality is a person’s citizenship and is when a person is simultaneously regarded as a citizen of more than one state or country under the laws of those countries or state.
This is done in two ways.
The first is through birth in South Africa and the second is through naturalization. Here is what you need to know regarding how to attain dual citizenship in South Africa
What is naturalization?
Naturalization is a process in which a non-citizen of a country acquires the Citizenship of the residing country legally. If the person qualifies then that country grants the Citizenship or Naturalization to that person legally. The person who is naturalized then that person will be considered as National or Citizen of that country legally.
How to apply for South Africa citizenship?
Before you begin the application process, you need to check if you are eligible and qualify to hold South Africa Citizenship.
You are eligible to apply for South African Citizenship if you are:
- Permanent Residency holder.
- Dependant of South Africa Permanent residency holder.
- Spouse of Permanent Residency Holder.
- Dependant on South African Citizen.
- Dependant on South Africa Citizen.
South Africa citizenship application
Applying for Citizenship in South Africa is done through an application form from the head office or online through the official website.
How to apply for South Africa citizenship:
Here is a step by step list on how to apply for SA Citizenship.
Visit the South Africa Citizenship official website.
Check your eligibility.
Send a determination of Citizenship application to the Head office.
Download the South Africa Citizenship Application and complete it.
Submit the completely filled South Africa Citizenship Application along with the supporting documents and fees.
Wait for the Citizenship Certificate processing time to make their decision – If you are qualified you will be notified.
Required Documents Applying for Citizenship Certificate in South Africa:
- DHA-175 Application Form.
- DHA-529 Application Form.
- Proof of continuous residence for 1 year before filing the Application Form.
- A valid RSA Police Certificate.
- Police Clearance Certificate from the county/countries you stayed before coming to RSA.
- Acceptance letter of dual Nationality.
- R300 fees towards the Citizenship Certificate application.
Here are the links to apply for South African Citizenship online.
- Apply for South Africa Citizenship Online
- Download the Citizenship Application
- Download the South Africa Citizenship Application
- Download DHA-175 Application Form
- Download DHA-529 Application Form
These forms can all be found at the Department of Home Affairs website
Now that you know how to apply for dual citizenship in South Africa, all that is left to say is welcome home.
Speak to a professional
We are able to help you with all Visa Applications in South Africa. We also feature a Free Online Assessment to help you determine your current status and which steps to take next. Contact Le Roux Attorneys today to assist you in applying for your South African Permit.
Contact Le Roux Attorneys, South African Visa specialists about your visa application. Start by selecting one of the enquiry options below