Download South Africa Visa Application Form DIY Documents
Please note, the following page is intended to assist South African visa applicants prepare their visa application themselves by providing commonly accessed South Africa visa application forms and directives for download. It is by no means a comprehensive outline of the documentation required for every type of South Africa visa application, but does provide guidance on assembling a basic visitor’s visa application. For assistance with more specialised South African visas, take our Free Online Assessment now, or use our submission form at the bottom of this page to ask for assistance in finding the form or documents you require.
What documents are required in order to apply for a South African visa for visiting purposes?
- Your passport or an official travel document that is valid for no less than 30 days after the expiry of your anticipated visit to the country.
- It is vital that your passport has at least TWO free pages for entry or departure endorsements
- A completed Visa Application Form (DHA-84)
- Proof of payment of the prescribed fee
- A yellow-fever vaccination certificate is required if you have transited through a country for longer than 12 hours where there is a risk of yellow fever transmission.
- A Statement or document explaining or validating the reason and duration of your visit
- Two colour passport photographs
- A return or onward ticket if you are travelling by air
- If you have individuals under the age of 18 travelling with you or accompanying you on your trip to South Africa, you will need to provide the following additional documents:
- Proof of guardianship or custody or
- Consent from the guardian in the case of an unaccompanied minor
- Proof of financial means to pay for your living expenses while in South Africa in the form of:
- Bank statements
- Salary advances
- Undertakings by the host(s) in South Africa
- Medical cover or
- Cash available (including credit cards and travellers’ cheques)
Who can apply for a visitor’s visa to South Africa?
Not all nationalities require a visa to visit South Africa. If your country is not visa exempt, then you might qualify for a visa if you fall into one of the categories below:
- Visits to family or friends and also for tourism purposes
- Business purposes
- Spouse to temporarily join a spouse who is in South Africa on a work or study permit
- Children to temporarily join parents who are in South Africa on work or study permits
- Fiancé to join his or her partner with the intension of marrying within 90 days
- Charitable or voluntary activities
- To work in the production of an movie or show (i.e. in the entertainment industry)
- For medical purposes (max stay 3-months)
- Sport events
For more information, see our Visitor’s Visa to South Africa page.